Write us!


What would you like to see on The Blaaag? Tell us at theblaaag@gmail.com.

From Christina Chen:

Hey everybody,

I have a friend who is organizing a walkout at CUNY Hunter on March
5th to protest tuition hikes, faculty layoffs, department downsizing,
the lack of a transparent admissions process, Hunter's relationship to
NYC communities, and more. Apparently BMCC is holding a rally on the
same time, and both schools are planning feeder marches to a CUNY-wide
demonstration that will take place at 4 pm that same day. I was
wondering if people are interested in participating in both events.
There is an educational at Hunter that's taking place *today* from 1-3
pm at Hunter HW 405 that will highlight longstanding CUNY student
efforts to promote a more "accountable, accessible, and democratic
CUNY".

My friend would like Columbia folks to get involved. I haven't really
had a discussion with her as to what this entails beyond attending
their events; however, I'd like to hear what folks think about
supporting the CUNY movement. I realize that we should probably
conduct convos about the politics of allying ourselves as students of
a private institution, with students within our city's public
university system; at the same time, however, I recognize that (obvi!)
these problems also not isolated to the CUNY's. Our circumstances are
not completely analogous, but I'm wagering that there is much to be
learned in how CUNY students are organizing around these issues.
They've been planning events / teach-in's all year which are
culminating into these end of the year actions... these folks have
been framing this as a student movement and I'd like to talk about our
place in all of this.

So, I'd appreciate 1) feedback, and 2) anybody who's interested in
participating in the rallys/ march to email me! And feel free to
forward this to other listerves I keep forgetting board aliases-
speak's is so easy to remember lol!

Love
Christina

0 comments:


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.