Write us!


What would you like to see on The Blaaag? Tell us at theblaaag@gmail.com.

Last night I finally went to see the super hyped movie Slumdog Millionaire. If you know me, then you know that I'm part blogger, part half-assed academic, and part film/concert geek. Be warned, I wrote this with little intention of bringing up any Asian American connections, but make of it what you will.

The first thing that turned me onto this movie was the heaps of praise that Videogum editor Lindsay Robertson showered onto it:

gabe: let your guard down
gabe: for once
lindsay: I did, when I saw Slumdog Millionaire!
lindsay: my guard was down for like, an hour
I couldn't believe it when I read this. Who, in their mid twenties to thirties, in the 21st Century, lets their guard down when watching any movie, especially one done by the guy who made the crazy zombie flick 28 Days Later? New Yorkers are dry and caustic, and like it or not, the qualities are contagious.

But then again, there is definitely something about Danny Boyle knowing how to tap into people's feelings through a number of magical things, including kids. There is this amazing scene, for example, and I won't tell you too much, but it involves a child, an outhouse, and the pile of shit that he has to crawl through in order to meet the most famous celebrity in India. I kid you not, this scene (the outrageousness of which was to be topped in later scenes) made me completely not care that the plotline was outrageous, and that nobody really believes in everlasting love underscoring this movie.

Which in some ways is the strength of its setting in Mumbai, a place that has become all too familiar in the tabloids as of late and doubly unimaginable. Boyle has somehow made us forget the horrors of what's happened there overseas, exposed its underbelly of people who suffer but are in love, and why not? A tragedy doesn't rob a city of its magic or its sentimentality, and neither should the recent headlines for this movie. In truth, a part of me didn't even realize or care that Slumdog took place in Mumbai. When I walked out of it with my boyfriend, one of the first things that he said about it was, "It felt like a completely fantastical sort of film." Indeed. Yours truly, the self-identified Daria Morgendorffer of the Blaaaging team, has been sold.

2 comments:

  1. Calvin/soho said...

    YEAH SLUMDOG!!!! I'm going in January!  

  2. 梁爵 said...

    2019.10.07台北知名酒店經紀觀察家分析:在如今的八大行業酒店上班職場上,居然只有4%員工渴望包養框出接S(性交易)嗎?這是酒店經紀公司在九月底發布的最新酒店兼差調查結果。這份酒店打工報告,一共訪問了6千名酒店兼職的酒店小姐分別來自制服店、禮服店、便服店、飯局、直播網紅等不同領域職場工作者,其中僅有4%期待在未來五年到十年可以賺到新台幣3千萬。事實上,這股「性交易」趨勢,早已在亞洲各地悄悄崛起。從暴紅的網紅金句:「趁年輕能撈就撈!」不然青春就白混了。接S(性交易)頻繁的討論相關議題,都可見其嚴重的落差性,台灣也不例外。換言之,表現優秀等於獲得機會、鼓勵酒店小姐從基層一路到被企業界大老闆包養的公式,已經出現了新的可能。  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.