Write us!

What would you like to see on The Blaaag? Tell us at theblaaag@gmail.com.

Elton Lin of the band Notorious MSG is publicizing this Chinese New Year concert, taking place in Chinatown, NYC (@ Santos Party House) on Sunday, January 25th at 7 PM. The event will feature bands The Notorious MSG, Peelander-Z, Beluga, and Gelatine. Tickets are $12, at the door or on www.ticketweb.com. For more info, visit the Facebook event.

Third World Newsreel (TWN), "an alternative media arts organization that fosters the creation, appreciation and dissemination of independent film and video by and about people of color and social justice issues", is hosting a program at the Museum of Modern Art on Feb 14 & 16 called "New Work from New Filmmakers". Amongst those filmmakers is friend Corinne Manabat, whose short film Excuse My Gangsta Ways details the life of Davina Wan, a woman experiencing a difficult transition from a life of gangs to a life of "normalcy".

We had the pleasure of watching EMGW at a summer screening at Sulu Series, and Corinne made that awesome elections short "The Reminder" that we posted in the late Fall. Tickets are $10 adult and $6 student, but you can exchange a museum admission ticket for a film ticket, if you hassle the Lobby Information Desk (Target Free Fridays excluded).

Partly in line with Marilla's post regarding the NYT's article about foreign relations and human trafficking, here's another one just in from The Gray Lady. This also continues in The Blaaag's very controversial Hawk Series, in which this writer very hawkishly vents on whatever is irritating his Asian Am sensibilities at the moment.

Nicholas Kristof files a op-ed and video report saying that sweatshops, for all of their negative connotations, are still desired opportunities for the world's poor, and ones that are threatened if manufacturing jobs are returned and kept in the States. In this way, Kristof suggests that Obama and the nations new leaders consider poverty abroad while planning a middle class economy boost at home. You can watch the video at http://video.nytimes.com/ and read the article here.

It's hard for me to think that sweatshops can be reduced to just a necessary evil. The problem was much deeper than sweatshops to begin with. Kristof may need some 101 lessons in underdevelopment and world systems of labor before visiting a place like Cambodia in his hip journalistic style. Lastly, this op-ed is considerably more dumb than the one he did on iodizing salt in Pakistan for IQ points.

Okay, that's all for now. Back to being sad about Gaza.

This is too good to be true! Magnetic North and Taiyo Na have made a song together, and now they're shooting the video at beloved Sulu Series (for which Taiyo is curator). They're asking friends and lovers to attend, who will get to participate in the video in these ways:

  • Be recorded lip-syncing your favorite lyric in the song ( For lyrics: http://magnetichiphop.com/igotmy.html )
  • Be recorded with your own line of "I Got My..."
  • Be recorded just being in attendance for the performances or just hanging out!
In addition to the film shoot there will be performances by Taiyo, Magnetic North, and Ishle Yi Park. Dare I say it, this may turn out to be the most awesome Sulu Series since Taiyo's album release party.

From Mohan Kanungo:

Hello Activist Friends,

I have compiled a guide to help undocumented South Asian students in NY obtain legal status and access/finance their higher education. Many of you helped contribute to this report and I would like to thank you for your support. All of you though may know students or organizations who could benefit from this. Please photocopy/pass it along and make revisions for your own purposes. If you have any critiques or additional info pass it my way.

In Solidarity,
Last Updated: 12/31/08
Prepared by Mohan Kanungo
www.ParachuteTent.com / ParachuteTent@gmail.com


Undocumented youth are often brought to the states at a young age without their consent or understanding that they are breaking the law. These youth grow up and spend most of their lives illegally in the States. Though this is home, undocumented students lack rights and opportunities available to those who have legal status.

Undocumented youth of South Asian origin in New York are especially in need of information on accessing and financing higher education as well as means of obtaining legal status in the United States. This guide was compiled to serve as a resource to begin filling that gap, particularly for South Asian1 students.

This guide should be seen as a launching point for you to achieve your dreams, but don’t rely on it alone. Throughout the process of accessing/financing higher education or obtaining legal status you must remember that you are your own best advocate.

A lawyer did NOT write this guide. It has been compiled with the input of various immigration service providers and advocates though it should not be interpreted as an authoritative source on any of the topics covered. Immigration, state and federal law around higher education are constantly changing. You should consult a licensed attorney or expert in a non-governmental organization.

Please photocopy, reproduce, edit, add to or otherwise alter this document WITHOUT my permission. Additional resources, critiques or updates that improve this guide are appreciated. Special Thanks to the advocates who aided in the preparation of this guide including Khin Mai Aung, Esq., Tushar Sheth, Esq., Choua Vue, Takashi Mastumoto, and Grecia Lima.



(Adapted from CUNY Law School’s Immigration Services Website)

Protect Yourself Against Fraud

If you are paying someone to help you with your immigration matter, know that you have the right to demand a written contract (in English and in your primary language) identifying all costs to be paid and services to be performed. The contract should include the name, address, and phone number of the person (or the business) providing the immigration assistance to you. Also, you have the right to demand the return of any original documents that belong to you, including passports, green cards, and birth certificates.

Be aware that there are many immigration assistance providers such as attorneys, people who call themselves "notarios" or others who charge fees for services that they may not be qualified to provide. In some cases, they may be practicing law illegally. It is common for such persons to file false or inaccurate applications with the USCIS on your behalf, and the consequences for you may be severe - you may easily end up in deportation proceedings.

Be Wary Of (Parts adapted from the NY Immigration Affairs Program Website):
  • Individuals or immigration service providers who represent themselves as attorneys or who provide legal advice when they are not licensed attorneys.
  • Individuals who pretend to be agents for the federal immigration authorities and promise they can offer expedited (speedy) or special treatment services.
  • Individuals or businesses that promise immigrants employment or work visas but are not capable of doing so.
  • Individuals who produce and sell fraudulent social security cards, licenses, passports and other documents.
  • Individuals or businesses that offer housing and other services but just take your money and disappear.
  • Lawyers or service providers who do not provide or return original documents or copies of forms submitted to the immigration authorities or other government agencies.
  • Service providers who threaten to report you to the immigration authorities.
  • Service providers who ask for money upfront (before services are rendered) and only accept cash-only payment policies. Secure a written receipt for any funds paid.


(Compiled from searches with Lawhelp.org and Idealist.org)

The following is a list of organizations providing pro-bono or low-cost legal assistance for immigration needs. There may be more organizations or private volunteer attorneys, so don't limit your search to this list alone. Before accepting anyone as your attorney you should verify they are an actual attorney and are legally able to represent you. Consult the NY BAR Association to verify a lawyer is an actual lawyer that has passed the NY Bar. Call 212-428-2800 or search online https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/attorney/AttorneySearch

Advocates for Children of New York, Inc.
151 W. 30th Street, 5th Floor New York, NY 10001
Phone: (212) 947-9779 (866) 427-6033 Fax (212) 947-9790 info@advocatesforchildren.org
Languages Spoken: French, Mandarin, Spanish, plus access to interpreters in 140 languages
Income Guidelines: Provides advice to all, regardless of income, but only takes on the full range of representation for those families that make no more than 250% of the poverty level.
Wheelchair Accessible: Y Access for the deaf: In process of installing a TTY line
Other Reqs: Must be under 21 to get help.
AFC's mission focuses on helping children who are at the greatest risk for academic failure due to poverty, ethnicity, disability, homelessness, immigration status/limited English proficiency, involvement in the child welfare or juvenile justice systems, domestic violence, sexual orientation, or teen parenting. *NOTE: AFC focuses on problems related to education.

Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF)
99 Hudson Street 12th floor New York, New York 10013
Phone 212-966-5932 Fax 212-966-4303 info@aaldef.org
AALDEF focuses on high impact litigation (cases involving lots of people) important to the Asian and Pacific Islander community including 9/11 disaster response, Affirmative Action, Anti-Asian Bias, Anti-Trafficking Initiative, Economic Justice, Equal Access to Services, Immigrant Right’s, Leadership Development, and Voting Rights.

Catholic Charities of New York
Dept of Immigrant and Refugee Services
1011 First Ave., 12th Floor New York, NY 10022-4134
Phone: (212) 419-3700
Languages: Spanish, Haitian-Creole, Mandarin, Cantonese, French, Russian, Polish, Albanian, Greek, Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian, Arabic, Turkish, Bosnian, Amharic, Italian, Hindi, Urdu, Punjab, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Thai
Provides assistance to asylum seekers including T (trafficking) and U Visa (victims or witnesses of violent crime) applicants and VAWA (victims of domestic violence) petitions. They may charge a nominal fee.

Catholic Migration Office
1258 65th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11219
Between 12th and 13th Avenues
Phone: 718-236-3000 Fax: (718) 256-9707 Email: migration@dioceseofbrooklyn.com
Directions: Subway - D train to 62nd Street, Brooklyn; N train to New Utrecht Avenue
There is another office in Queens at 51-27 Queens Blvd., Woodside (near the corner of 51 Street). For an appointment, please call (718) 651-5490. Wheelchair Accessible: N
Languages Spoken: French, Haitian Creole, Mandarin Chinese, Polish, Italian, and Spanish
Other Requirements: Do not serve prisoners or in detention centers.
The Catholic Migration Office assists immigrants in the following areas: green cards, family petitions/adjustment of status, family unity (legal status for family members of "Amnesty Applicants"), conditional residence removal, overseas visa appointments, temporary and permanent labor visas, extension of temporary visa, citizenship, political asylum, special immigrants (religious workers, juveniles, abused spouses of U.S. residents or citizens), travel documents (reentry permit, advance parole), visa lottery (Diversity Visa Program), photographs, and consultation on any immigration problem. The Catholic Migration Service also offers English as a Second Language (ESL) and citizenship test preparation classes and occupational training.

City Bar Justice Center (Formerly City Bar Fund)
42 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 382-6710
Languages: Spanish and French.
Services are limited to individuals seeking asylum, domestic violence survivors seeking legal status, and human trafficking victims. Their website includes a number of resources including a guide for accessing public benefits.

Desis Rising Up and Moving (DRUM) – Azaadi Legal Defense
72-26 Broadway, 4th Floor Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Phone: (718) 205 3036 Fax: (718) 205 3037 Email: info@drumnyc.org
Languages: Bangla, Hindi, Urdu, and Gujarati
Azaadi (meaning ‘Freedom’ in Urdu & Hindi) Legal Defense provides multi-lingual immigration services including referrals for free and low-cost immigration lawyers for deportation cases, deportee family advocacy referrals for housing, status adjustment, public benefits. They are able to advocate with DHS/ICE officials and support South Asians being deported from Canada.

121 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10013
Varick and Broome Streets (entrance on Broome Street)
Phone 212-941-9090, extension 3280
Directions: Subway - 1, 9, or A to Canal Street; C, E to Spring Street. Bus - M6 or M10 to Broome Street; M8 to 6th Avenue
Membership to Door’s services is free, but you are required to make an appointment for an interview. If your problem is an emergency such as imminent removal of children by the Administration for Children's Services, deportation within a week, imminent danger of losing housing or public benefits, and serious physical danger the Door may be able to help.

Goeken Law
233 5th Ave New York, NY 10016
Phone 212-518-3302 and Fax 646-706-7574
An LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) friendly law firm that focuses on wills, adoptions, domestic partnerships, and immigration. Goeken works with AALDEF to occasionally offer pro-bono or low cost legal assistance.

Legal Services NYC
89-02 Sutphin Boulevard Jamaica, New York 11435
Phone: (718) 657-8611 Fax: (718) 526-5051
*Several more offices exist throughout the city
Provides free or low cost legal services to low income New Yorkers who need support in the civil legal system. This includes family (divorce, custody) benefits (food stamps, welfare, Medicare) consumer and education (unlawful, excessive and arbitrary suspension of students). LSNY has several offices throughout the city, some of which take on special projects that address the needs of seniors, victims of domestic violence (restraining orders, petitions for relief under VAWA), victims of predatory lending practices (foreclosure assistance), immigrants (family based immigration petitions, green card and work permit renewals, naturalization applications and appeals), and people with HIV (denial of housing or other benefits).

Legal Aid
199 Water Street
New York, NY 10038
Phone: (212) 577-3300 and (212) 577-3456 -Immigration Law Unit Main Office
*Several more offices exist throughout the city including the Crown Heights Community Mediation Center, 262 Kingston Avenue, and Brooklyn, 718-773-6886
Languages: Offers a number of translation services, including American Sign Language
Legal Aid is a federally funded program that provides pro-bono assistance to people who are low-income in criminal, civil and juvenile matters. Legal Aid helps U (victims of violent crime) or T (trafficking victims) Visa applicants, asylum seekers, or VAWA petitioners who are in the process of obtaining legal service. Coordinates with the Juvenile Immigration Representation Project for persons aged 18 and under in removal proceedings. A self-help guide is available online with answers to common legal questions.

New York State Youth Leadership Council
137-139 West 25th Street, 12th Floor New York, New York 10001-7277
Phone: 212-627-2227 ext. 248
The goal of the NYSYLC is to develop a grassroots movement led by immigrant youth and children of immigrants through leadership development, advocacy, and organizing. We believe that improving access to higher education and creating equal opportunity for immigrant youth are a means to fulfill our mission. We will be awarding scholarships to undocumented students.

665 W. 182nd Street New York, NY 10033
Phone: (212) 781-0648 Fax: (212) 781-0943 Contact: Mayra Angelica Rios
Languages: Spanish
Legal services are limited to non-detained cases (people who are not in immigration detention facilities/prison.

Safe Horizon – Immigration Legal Services
74-09 37th Avenue, Room 308 Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Phone: (718) 899-1233 ext. 129
Languages: Spanish and Russian
Offers legal services relating to asylum for survivors of domestic abuse, persecution, and/or torture. SH represents those with non-violent criminal offenses. May charge nominal fee.


In addition to accessing pro-bono or low cost legal assistance it is vital you research information on your own. Lawyers have a huge caseload so they usually cannot spend a lot of time with you. It helps if you are honest, bring all documents to your first meeting and continually shared important information with them to move the case along.

The following are a list of agencies that release information you continually follow up with in order to stay informed on the latest news and policy changes relating to immigration law. If something seems relevant to your case, learn as much as you can about it and talk about it with your lawyer or write him/her letter explaining how you think it might help your case.

NOTE: Lawyers generally appreciate clients who don't rely on the lawyer to do everything but take responsibility for their case, meaning they are proactive about finding out and sharing information related to the case. Never act like you know more than him/her. If you feel your lawyer is not representing you fairly you have the right to terminate your relationship and/or seek another attorney. You might liable for any fees of services rendered.

Asian American and Pacific Islander DREAMS (AAPI DREAMS)
AAPI Dreams is a California based online forum for undocumented students. The site promotes the sharing of stories and support. You can make your own post and learn from an online community of undocumented students advocating for improved access to higher education.

Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs and Language Services
The MOIALS promotes the interest and needs of immigrants and provides language-related services to immigrants in collaboration with community-based organizations.

Law Help
Get free legal advice on a number of immigration resources.

American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
Produces newsletters and updates on policy changes and developments in immigration law.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
USCIS is the office that releases and processes forms relating to immigration. They regularly release important updates on changes in immigration procedure or policy through their website.


Typically lawyers are busy people, but organizations providing pro-bono (free) or low cost legal support are often overwhelmed with more people they can help. There are a number of things you can do to help get your case heard and move it along faster:
  1. Collect all immigration related documents such as visas, passports, I-94s, notice to appear for a hearing or deportation notices (even documents appear repetitive or unnecessary keep them) relevant to your entry and stay here in the states. Bring these to the first meeting you have with your attorney and keep photocopies of all your documents.
  2. Write a biography or bullet point description of everything that has happened to you relating your immigration status. Include exact dates, reference legal forms/documents, and past consultations with immigration attorneys, outcomes of hearings in front of an immigration judge, filings with the court and any judgments. Include names, case numbers, and any other detailed information relevant to your case.
  3. Ask a non-profit, community based organization or advocate your work with to write a letter on your behalf to a volunteer attorney or legal service.


The following sites include information about consumer, family and juvenile, housing, individual rights, workers rights, seniors, disability, health, immigration, public benefits and taxes.







(Adapted from CUNY Law School’s Immigration Services Website)


All students, including undocumented students, benefit from a 2001 New York State law that expanded who can qualify for resident tuition. That law allows students, including undocumented students, to pay resident tuition if they:
  • Were enrolled in CUNY for the Fall 2001 semester, and qualified for in-state tuition at that time
  • Attended a New York State high school for two or more years, graduated, and applied to attend a CUNY institution within five years of receiving a New York State diploma; or
  • Attended an approved New York State program for the GED exam preparation, received a Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED) from New York State, and applied to attend a CUNY institution within five years of receiving the New York State GED.
Individuals qualifying based on the 2001 state law are eligible for in-state tuition even if they have not resided in New York State for one year. CAUTION: To get in-state tuition, undocumented immigrants must file an affidavit stating that they have applied to legalize their status, OR that they will apply to do so as soon as they are eligible. Your college can provide you with a sample affidavit.

NOTE: Several other states -- Texas, California, Utah, Illinois, Washington, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kansas -- have passed state laws providing in-state tuition benefits to illegal aliens (undocumented students) who have attended high school in the state for three or more years. Similar legislation is pending in Florida, Hawaii, Maryland (legislation passed, but awaiting governor's signature), Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. (Connecticut and Wisconsin also passed such a law, but their governors vetoed it.) The Nevada system of higher education does not consider immigration status for in-state tuition, but does require it for a state-sponsored scholarship. Also, some schools in Georgia provide in-state tuition benefits to illegal aliens. The Texas law also allows illegal aliens to receive state student financial aid2.

(Adapted from http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/undocumented.phtml)

Federal Financial Aid is NOT available to undocumented students. If you are undocumented do not apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may be eligible for private loans or scholarships.

If you are a US Citizen or have legal status but one or more of your parents are undocumented, you ARE eligible for federal student aid. However, if the parents supply a fake or stolen social security number (SSN) on the form, the student's FAFSA will be rejected when the parent's social security number fails to match. The FAFSA may also be rejected when the parents submit a SSN or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) that is valid for work purposes only. If the parents do not have a social security number or the social security number fails the match, they should use 000-00-0000 as their social security number on the FAFSA form.


CUNY has limited scholarships available for undocumented students. If you graduated from a New York City high school, public or private, with a B average or better, you may qualify for a New York City Council-Vallone Academic Scholarship. To get a Vallone scholarship, you must enroll in a CUNY college within two semesters of your high school graduation. To keep the scholarship, you must maintain a B average or better in college. Also, some schools offer scholarships based on merit. Speak with an admissions counselor for further information on the Vallone Academic Scholarship, other scholarships, financial assistance, and how to apply to CUNY. Applications are also available on the CUNY web site, www.cuny.edu, and from the Office of Admission Services (Call toll-free: 1-800-CUNY-YES).

The full tuition grants of the CUNY Honors College are also available to undocumented students. The Honors College is available to only the most outstanding students. In addition to the full tuition grant, Honors College students receive a stipend and many other benefits. For additional information about the CUNY Honors College contact:

Macaulay Honors College
35 West 67th Street New York, NY 10023
Phone: 212-729-2900 Fax: 212-580-8130 Email: info@mhc.cuny.edu

There are also a few private scholarships for undocumented students that do not require the student to be a US citizen or resident or have a social security number in order to apply. Information about such scholarships can be found in the FastWeb www.fastweb.com scholarship search. Other good resources include the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF) www.maldef.org and the Salvadoran American Leadership and Educational Fund www.salef.org. Also consult the University of Southern California’s Website at www.usc.edu/dept/chepa

Always Inquire for any Scholarship:
  • Whether they will need a social security number (don’t falsify one)
  • Deadlines (receipt or postmarked) and set appropriate benchmarks for yourself
  • How the scholarship will be paid out (check to you, directly to the school, etc)


The DREAM Act would allow many of these students to earn Lawful Permanent Residency and United States citizenship by going to college or serving in the United States military. It is the only hope for millions of youth in our communities.

To support the passage of the DREAM Act consult:

United We DREAM Campaign

Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund

National Conference of State Legislatures: Immigrant Policy Project

National Council of La Raza

National Immigration Law Center

National Korean American Service and Education Consortium

This post comes also as a realization (to me at least) that we should do much more Blaaaging of listings from Theresa Hernandez's awesomely managed listserv from Columbia's Center for the Study of Ethnicity and Race (CSER). Not everyone's an Ethnic Studies major/concentrator, but these listings apply to so many areas of study. Here are two of the latest.



Dear Members of the Asian-American Studies,

Professor Ting Lei (City University of New York) and I (Saint Francis College) would like to make you aware of an "Essay Contest for Chinese American High School and College Students and Non-Students Ages 14-24." This contest invites Chinese American students and others from New York City to write an autobiographical essay about their experience of growing up as a Chinese person in New York. Chinese students who attended a New York City high school in the past but are now enrolled in a college elsewhere are also eligible; however, graduate students are not. The four winning essays will each receive an award. You can find more information about the contest in the attached flyer and materials.

We would greatly appreciate it if you would help us to advertise this contest, for instance by posting the attached flyer in relevant places or by placing it on the Internet. It seems to us that high school as well as college students of Chinese descent would be interested in hearing about this contest. Any suggestions you might wish to offer about how best to advertise it (e.g., relevant listservs, etc.) would also be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Uwe Gielen and Ting Lei


Uwe P. Gielen, PhD

Professor of Psychology and Executive Director,

Institute for International and Cross-Cultural Psychology

Past President, APA International Psychology Division (52)

St. Francis College

180 Remsen Street

Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA



Social entrepreneurship is empowering disadvantaged people across the Philippines and promoting significant social advancement. This approach of unleashing the creative power of individuals to improve their economic and social situations is transforming the philanthropic landscape in the Philippines and around the world.

Come learn about the fascinating experience of social entrepreneurship, the challenges facing their exciting new sector and the lessons learned from the Philippines.

Diosdado Banatao, Founder and Managing Partner of Tallwood Venture Capital 
Loida Nicolas Lewis, Chairwoman  & Chief Executive Officer, TLC Beatrice, LLC; Trustee Chair, National Federation of Filipino American Associations
Vicky Garchitorena, President, Ayala Foundation, Inc. 

Thursday, January 22, 2009 
Registration: 6:00—6:30pm
Discussion and Open Forum: 6:30—8:00pm
Reception : 8:00—9:00pm

Asia Society and Museum
725 Park Avenue at 70th StreetNew York City

Whoa. Just last semester Columbia and Barnard were all abuzz over bringing the NROTC to campus after its ban in the 1960s. Most students were against it specifically over the Corps' "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. Well, it looks like Obama, who spoke with McCain earlier this semester on bringing back NROTC, is fixin' that. Check out this video from Robert Gibbs, Incoming White House Press Secretary:


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.